This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Korean Heating Sucks

As I read my gas bill for this month I realized that gas is way to expensive for not heating my house properly. So the way that heating works in most Korean houses is that the floor is heated through hot spots under the flooring. There is no vent to circulate the air, the floor just gets hot. And boy does it get hot. My house takes forever to get warm and that's when I crank up the heating, but then the floor is so hot that if you stand in one spot for too long your feet feel like they are burning. So if I have the heating at 23 C then the air temperature will get to about 20 C, but then you have to deal with the cement walls. The cement walls never get warm, so the house always feels chilly.
So seeing my bill, I decided that it was time to get a little heater to use instead of using the gas. I hope that this cuts down on the gas bill so that I don't have to pay nearly half as much. Electricity seems to be so much cheaper so I hope this is the best decision. I also think that it will heat the air and make the house much nicer for being in.
You know what's really crazy is that my bathroom has no heating at all. So it's always cold, unless I'm having a shower and then it gets warm. So going to the bathroom in the middle of the night is a wake up call because it's so cold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger