This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

An Experience Not to be Repeated...Hopfully

So this week was a pretty difficult week. See I have the kindergarten class 2 times a week. This is a lot to handle because they are so young and they have no English at all. I'm of course working on my own in this class unless I need help with an activity of sorts and then a Korean teacher will come into the class to help or if a student is telling me something and I don't understand them.
Well this week, on Wednesday, I had a huge situation that I never want to have to repeat again in my whole teaching career. One of the boys, Sang Min, is a very naughty boy at times and doesn't like to listen to what any of the teachers says. Well this day he really wasn't listening so I decided to let him do whatever he wanted as long as he didn't disturb the other students. We sang some of the songs and as I was trying to find one more song when Sang Min decided it would be funny if he pulled the cord for the cassette player. As I was plugging it back in he pulled the whole cassette player on to the floor, not so cool. I told him to sit down. I went on with the lesson and he decided it would be fun to draw on the desk. Min Jae, who was sitting beside Sang Min, told me he was drawing on the desk. I erased the desk and told Sang Min not to draw on the desk.
So I went on to try and teach the students how to write 'Jj' and 'Kk'. As I was doing this Sang Min decided to take Min Jae's books or pencils and throw them across the room. After picking them up, I told Sang Min not to do that. I turned around for one second to look at another student's work and Min Jae was crying. I went to get the Korean teacher, cause I didn't know what happen. She asked what happened and then tried to get Sang Min to do something. He got really angry and started to rip/scrunch up the pages of his student book. The Korean teacher continued to try and find out what was wrong or get Sang Min to do something and he just got more angry. So the Korean teacher tried to take Sang Min out of the room and he didn't want to go. He then decided that he didn't want any of his English stuff and tried to put his books and bag in the garbage. As he walked by the cassette player he threw that on the ground, again. The Korean teacher tried to get him to calm down, but nothing seemed to work. She went out of the class to get her husband, the director, and Sang Min shut the door. He wouldn't move away from the door to let the Korean teacher back in, so I picked him up. As I did this he tried to bite me. All while this was going on Min Jae started to cry again.
The Korean teacher finally took him out of the class. As she did this other students for the next class were surrounding the door trying to see what was going on. One of the students was holding a balloon that one of the kindergarten class students had brought from her school and she started to cry because she thought the other student was stealing her balloon. So now I had 2 students crying. I got the balloon back and one student stopped crying. At this point it was time to finish class. I got the students packed up and tried to calm Min Jae, who was still crying.
I found out later that Sang Min had hit Min Jae with a pencil and that was why he started crying in the first place. I found all this out after class. I was told by the Korean teacher that she couldn't even control Sang Min. This boy always is trouble. I have a feeling that his parents don't discipline him because he never listens to any of the teachers and always does what he wants to do. When he gets angry he throws things, kicks things, and bites or kicks. He's a very distructive child who doesn't know how to handle his anger.
Anyways, what a day! As the class finished all I wanted to do is cry myself. It was so stressful and tiring and I had the rest of my day to make it through, 5 more classes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rosalee, I hope your week got better. Be patient with the difficult child and do not give up on him. You never know you could be the one to make a change in his life and he may change and really want to learn. It is difficult as you have a language barrier but find out what he is interested in and that will make it easier. Good luck. Have a great day.

3:53 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger