This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Spring is In the Air

Spring is finally here, not that we had a terribly cold winter or anything like that here in Korea, but it's nice to have the warm weather here. In Korea you can tell it's spring from a couple of signs.
The first sign is that the air in the house is colder than the air outside. Funny as it sounds, it's very true because the walls are cement they don't allow the warm air in. It will take about another month or so for the air in the house to feel the same temperature as the air outside during the day.
A second sign is that the cherry blossoms are starting to come out. In the past week I have seen the start of little pink buds on the trees. This is very nice cause it gives some colour to the brown dullness.
A third sign is that the magnolis flowers are out. The big white flowers are so nice to look at.
A fourth sign is that you can wear a long-sleeved shirt outside during the day time as the temperature is usually 15-18 C. It's so nice to be able to get rid of the sweaters and the heavy winter coat. Along with getting rid of the winter coat and sweaters I have also been able to put away the heavy blankets. It's nice also to get a gas bill that is much lower because I haven't had to turn on the gas as much. I'm all about saving on money.
A fifth sign that spring is here is that the students have a harder time sitting still in class because they rather be outside than inside learning English. They are also more talkative in class, but not in English, in Korean. It's harder to keep them focused at times, but that's ok because they are in a better mood most of the time.
A sixth sign is the yellow sand. This is something that blows in from China every spring. It's a pain because it's everywhere. You can sweep your floor in the morning and by the time you come home in the evening there will be a yellow sand on the floor again. It's all over the cars, all over the house, and in the wind. You have to be careful on windy days because the sand blows into your eyes and it's quite painful. The problem is that you can't actually see the sand so you don't know that it's in the wind until you get it in your eyes.
A seventh, and final, sign is that I feel more positive. The winter can be so dull and boring because I can't go out as much, but now that the weather has gotten nicer I have more of a reason to go out. I think I also feel good about getting rid of the heavy clothing that makes me feel twice the size that I really am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger