This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Learning Korean

So 2 of the guys from church, David and Attack, started to teach me Korean. As of 2 weeks ago I was illiterate when it came to Korean, but after about 2 weeks of learning I can read a little Korean, even if I can't understand it. I tell you the truth, learning Korean is very difficult. When the guys started to teach me the first row of Korean letters, I felt very stupid because I couldn't remember the sound that went with the symbol. I realized the next day that I was having trouble with remembering because I wasn't writing the letters and saying them at the same time. So I started to do that and now I'm on my way. I can read some basic Korean words that consist of a consonant and a vowel, but it's tricky when it is changed to look different. I also learned that in Korea there is a different way to refer to people in your family depending if you are a girl or a boy who is speaking about their older brother or older sister. So I learned that older brother is oh-ba, and older sister is un-nee (if a boy were speaking it would be different from this), mother is uh-mon-ee, father is ah-bo-gee, grandfather is har-ah-bo-gee, and grandmother is har-mon-ee.
So I should know the whole Korean alphabet because once you know the sounds and the vowels that go with each, altogether 14 different consonant sounds and 10 vowel sounds, I'm told that I can read anything. The only thing about one of the sounds, the 's', sound is that it can make an 's' sound or an 'sh' sound. I asked how to tell the difference and the guys said that Koreans just know when it should make 's' and when it should make 'sh'. There is also one sound that took forever to figure out how to describe, the 'ugh' sound like in 'enough', but not really it's still a little different. It's so hard to make a sound that doesn't really exist in your own language. This gives me great respect for people who stick with learning a second language. I can now understand how difficult is must be for some of these students to try and learn a new language.
I was really surprised at church this Sunday past when I was able to read which Book we were going to be reading from. It was pretty basic lo-ma-se (the e makes an 'u' as in up). So we were reading from Romans. I felt pretty good about it. I know that not all the books of the Bible are so simple and written so that they are the same sounding, but it was nice that I could actually read and understand it.
So I will continue to practice and learn Korean as the guys are able to teach me. The come to my house 4 times a week for about an hour. We always end the lesson with them asking me a couple of questions about English. I don't mind helping them because they are helping me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger