This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Soda Pop Flavours in Korea

For those of you who are interested to know, South Korea has a limited range of soda pop flavours. I have found the lack of variety to be boring at times, but then all of a sudden South Korea gets a new flavour.
Let's start with the basics. When I first came to Korea I found that the basic flavours of soda pop were Coke, Pepsi, and Cider. Cider, if I could describe it's taste, is a combination of Ginger Ail and Sprit mixed. These are the basic flavours that you can get at restaurants. If you go to the corner store you can get Fanta in 3 flavours (orange, grape, and pineapple). I actually enjoy the pineapple Fanta, it's very refreshing.
After I came back to Korea in February I found that McDonalds offered Sprit. This was a nice change, as I don't really like the Cider soda, as it reminds me of when would get sick and my mom would give it to me to settle my stomache.
A few months after, in the summer I noticed that Mountain Dew started to hit the stores. I'm not crazy about Mountain Dew, but when Mountain Dew Code Red (cherry flavoured Mountain Dew) came out I was in heaven.
When I went to Costco in Daegu I found Dr. Pepper. This is the only time that I've found Dr. Pepper in Korea and that's because it's imported. You can only get it at Costco.
So with the lack of Root Beer, Cream Soda, and Vanilla Coke I am craving these flavours without being able to get them. I just wonder what Koreans would think of these flavours of soda pop that they don't have. I wonder if they would like them or if they would think they taste like medicine. I just hope that one day Korea will import a new flavour that can be bought in any corner store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger