This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Korean Weddings

I should have probably written about this a long time ago, but never really thought about it until I started talking with my friend Shawn from back home and tried to explain things to him. For those of you who are interested in knowing a little about a Korean wedding, here you go.
So the wedding I went to was for my Christian Korean friend, Young Ho (he's the one who started the English Bible study group). It very strange here in Korea in regards to the engagment period. Young Ho was engaged for about 2 months or so before having his wedding. I thought this was a little strange, but that's the way that it's done here. I was wondering how they get all the planning done before the wedding, but then I heard that they have a wedding planner, apparently very common. I actually didn't hear from the groom about the wedding date, I heard from another Korean friend who got an invitation, as the invitations go out to only a select few and then they tell other people.
The wedding was held at the city hall. Everything was like a wedding that you would see in Canada or the United States accept that there was no wedding party, at least that I could see. The bride was in a beautiful white dress the groom in a black suit. The pastor prayed over the couple and they were married after the vows.
This is Young Ho and his wife to be taking their vows.
After the vows was were things got different. The parents of the bride were seated in chairs on one side and the parents of the groom on the other side. Then the bride and groom bowed to the bride's parents and then they bowed to the groom's parents. Then the minister announced the couple husband and wife. Then they walked down the aisle. Then pictures were taken with family and friends. After the bride threw her boquet to the maid of honour and only she was to catch it.
This is the minister pronouncing the couple.
After all that the bride and groom went into a separate room and there was a traditional tea ceremony that happened. The bride and groom were changed into traditional clothing and had this ceremony with the parents on both sides. I didn't stay to see the whole ceremony because it was in a very small room and there were too many people.
This is the traditional tea ceremony with the special clothing.
Then everyone was invited to the reception, held at a resturant. There were pictures of the bride and groom in their wedding outfits, taken weeks before. The clothes that they were wearing were not even the same ones that they wore at the wedding. The bride was in two different dresses in the pictures, both of the dresses wedding dresses and then she was wearing a different one at the wedding. The reception was all very casual.
All in all it was a very nice wedding. I don't think that it was the same as most Korean weddings would have been. I don't think I will get to see another wedding in Korea, but what I saw shed a little light on what a Korean wedding was like.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey thx. it as very infomative. and it seems really neat the tea ceremony looks neat.

11:55 a.m.

 
Blogger Char said...

In Taiwan they take their wedding pictures months before too, with a professional photographer. They also wear a number of different dresses/clothes in the pictures. I haven't been to a Taiwanese wedding yet thought. :)
Have a good day!

12:09 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger