This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Korean Church Vs. Canadian Church & My Adventure in Finding an English Service

Something that I have noticed as a big difference between churches here in Korea and churches in Canada is the acceptance and welcoming level. I'm not sure if it's just because I've only gone to a couple of different churches in Canada or if it's because I havin't been a new member at a church in a very long time and have forgotten what it's like to be new in a church. Anyways, I thought it was just the church I was going to that made the people more accepting and welcoming because I had not been to a different Korean church, but today I went to a different Korean church and was welcomed very warmly by everyone. I think it was a bigger welcoming than at the church that I have been going to for a while now. I don't think that my church in Canada welcomes people into the church to the same extent that the churches here in Korea do. Here in Korea, the new people are invited to a room, after the service, and they get to meet the pastor and are given a little drink and some times a little gift. In Canada, you might get a little gift, but most of the time the new people don't get to meet the pastor right away (at least to my knowledge). Also there doesn't seem to be a very big welcoming from the congregation the same way that there is in a Korean church. The welcoming in a Korean church is almost overwhelming.
I think this makes me change my attitude toward how I'm going to try and welcome people into the church when I go back home to Canada. I want new comers to feel as welcomed and accepted as I have felt in the churches here in Korea.
So, on my search for finding a church that offers an English service I was told about a church that is close to my house. I went there this morning on my own, not even a Korean to translate. I was immediately welcomed with very warm smiles and the ladies at the door tried to talk to me in Korean. One lady was quick to grab one of the young adults, English name David, to come and translate for me. It was very nice and very unexpected. So David translated the service for me and then after service was very nice to 'take me under his wing' and show me where to go and help answer any questions that people had. I ate lunch and as I did many people came up and said hi and asked where I was from and where I worked. It was very nice.
After lunch there was time to sit and talk with people. I was amazed at the amount of people who spoke English and were able to carry on a short, if not long conversation. At the other church there are maybe a hand full of people who speak English and even few who can carry on a conversation. So people just kept on coming up and talking with me. It was very nice. They all want me to come back to the church and continue to attend church there on Sundays. I think I might just do it because it's closer and a little smaller and there are more people who speak English. The only thing is that there is no English service, but they did have one a couple of years ago. Maybe they will start it up again because of me. Who knows...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rosalee, It is so nice to hear that you found a church with people that can speak english. Maybe you will meet new friends. Too bad you did get to know your Grandma Eggleton better. She was the greater at the door. Even into her 90's. She always had a welcoming smile and was truely a servent of the Lord. She was amazing woman. I agree about making people more welcome. I know at Port Perry they always had a number of welcomers at the door. Where at King Street I have gone a number of times and know one ever greated me. I feel lost there. Maybe because it is so big. Have a great day. With all my Love Mom.

8:18 p.m.

 
Blogger mister said...

Hey, all your experiences do bring back memories. Again, where are you teaching? When I was there I had to take a bus for about 2.5 hours each way to get an English service so glad yours is closer (as far as English conversation is concerned).

3:06 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger