This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Language Barrier

So on thing that I have had to get over while in Korea and any of the other places that I have traveled to where I don't speak the language is having to deal with people not understanding me and me not understanding them. This has been a constant struggle while in Korea because learning Korean is extremely difficult. I have learned a couple of words to get me by, but for the most part I don't understand very much.
The hardest time when I wish I spoke the language fluently is when I have a difficulty or needing help with something. I will either try to understand them through actions or I will end up calling one of my Korean friends or my director for translation. Sometimes I feel like a burden to these people, but they are the ones who say to call them if I ever need help with anything.
I the lady that I bought Snowball from has started to learn a couple of words in English to help explain things to me. It's very funny to go into the pet store now and get Snowball washed and if I'm having a problem with her (like her skin problem) the lady will help me get the medicine that I need. She is very nice and always wants to take me out for lunch.
When teaching I find that some of the students with little English revert to Korean and they expect me to understand. This can be very difficult for me and them. If there is a problem and it is not resolved within a minute or so I go to the head teacher and ask her what the child wants. I think the students think it's funny at times to speak Korean and then watch my reaction to not understanding them. Something that can be annoying is for the students to say something about me, and I know it's about me because I hear my name, but I have no idea about what they are saying because I don't understand enough.
The words that I have learned so far are 'hello,' 'thank you,' 'give me (please),' 'here,' 'back gate,' 'I don't understand,' a couple of numbers, some foods, how to get to my house, how to get to my old house, and some words that are what we call Konglish (Korean and English mixed to get a word). I usually have a Korean write down directions for me so I can just show the paper to the taxi driver.
I have tried to find time to learn a little more Korean, but there is just not the time or the people to teach me at a time that is good for me and them. I will probably not be able to learn much more than I have already learned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rosalee, Keep on trying to learn their language. That is a bonus to have additional language. It shows them that you are interested in them. I hope that they become more friendly to you. It has made me aware of foreign people that come to our country to make them feel more welcome to our country. I try to help them when ever I can. I do not run into many foreigners on a daily basis but it reminds me of my dear friend Gisel who was French and did not speak or understand english fluently. How she did not have alot of friends here and got lonely at times. She would get home sick also. We would hang out when ever we could and always had a great time together. I hope you will find a a dear friend real soon. Take care with all my love Mom.

10:57 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger