This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Daegu Amusment Park and Korean Costco

This past weekend I had the opportunity to go to an amusment park with my director and his family. It was actually supposed to include the other teachers, but they had previous plans. So it was just me, my director, his wife, and little boy.
The amusment park was located in the city of Daegu, 2 hours away from my city. We got there around lunch time, but didn't eat until later. Frist we had to decide what kind of pass we wanted. There were 3 differnt kinds of passes. There was just the entry fee with no rides included, there was the big 5 which allowed you to go on 5 rides of your choice, and there was the all day pass that allowed you to go on all the rides all day. I chose the big 5 because my director's wife doesn't like roller coasters and my director only got the big 5 also and I don't like to ride coasters on my own.
This is the entry sign. The name of the park is Woo Bang Tower Land.
This is Min Jae, Jennifer, and me at Woo Bang Tower Land. Note the funny looking dog bushes behind us.
The park was small. It was funny because there were outdoor escalators because of the park being on a hill. The first ride we went on was a roller coaster simular to Canada's Wonderland's bat roller coaster. It was the first roller coaster I had been on in about 5 years. It was good, but the ride ended with an abrupt stop, not like the roller coasters in Canada that kind of give you little stops before the final stop.
After at roller coaster the director's wife took her son on a children's ride. On the ride you could make the plane go up and down with a handle. The little boy, Min Jae, kept making the plane go up and down and the director's wife, Jennifer, didn't like it very much. It was cute to see them on the ride together.
This is Min Jae and his mother on the plane ride.
After that it was time for lunch. I had bulgolgi, a beef stirfry on rice. It was good. Then we went on another roller coaster called the camel back. It was sort of like the Canada's Wonerland's great Canadian mindbuster. It was fun. Then we went on a roller coaster called the hurricane. It was sort of like the Canada's Wonderland's dragon flyer only with only one loop upside down. This was also quite fun.
By that time it was late in the afternoon and there was one last ride that the director wanted to take his son on, the fluke water ride. It was like the Canada's Wonderland's fluke ride when they had it years ago when I was younger. Apparently last year Min Jae was just a little too short to go on, but this year he was able to go. The line was very long and it took us about 45 minutes to get through. Jennifer was scared of the hill, but she made it through. Min Jae was scared, but he didn't show it at all. He just sat with his father and was expressionless and very quiet.
As we were heading to the car, we stopped for Min Jae to go on these rolling animals that you pay for. Then the children can drive it around for 2 minutes or so. It was cute to see Min Jae riding the zebra like animal.
The picture on the left is of Min Jae and his mother on the zebra car.
The picture on the right is of me, Min Jae, and Jennifer on our way out of the park. The yellow pointer hand that Jennifer has is a toy that is used in a game that you try to get a person to not look the way that you point. If you do then you get a knock on the head, if you don't then it's their turn to get you to look the same way you point.
Overall it was a good day. There really wasn't much more to the park besides the tower, the jurassic park museum, and the aquarium, but you had to pay extra to go and see those. I was happy with what I went on. There are apparently a few other amusment parks in Korea, but the big ones are by Seoul. Maybe I will get there sometime.
After leaving the amusment park, we went to Costco. Yes, there is Costco in Korea. It's nice because then you can buy some of the not so common food items there, for example, Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. So I signed up for a membership because it is transferable into Canada when I leave, very nice.
It was nice to go shopping and find some foods that I couldn't buy in Jinju. I was able to find marble cheese, salsa, Campbell's soup, snack mix, Dr. Pepper pop, construction paper, and Downey faberic softener. It was nice to get these items. I would like to go back there in a couple of months to do some more shopping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger