This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Korean Army

I just thought I would make a little note about the Korean army, while I have it on my mind. It seems so different here than in Canada with regards to the army because, in Canada, there is not an ever present fear of being invaded.
Since being in Korea I have felt that Koreans are a little fearful of an invasion, as they have been invaded quite a few times in their history. Korea has quite a large army and most men over the age of 25 could be required to fight if necessary because they have all been required to go into the army. It's a law that at some point in a man's life he has to go into the army and do service. Being from Canada, where it is not a requirement, but an option, this seems very strange to me. I don't think that I would want to stop my life to have to go into the army for a period of time.
When I went to Asan, for my spa trip a while ago, the train was filled with men in the army. They were moving to different bases or something because groups of them would get off at certain stations. There had to be over 100 of them on the train that day.
Sometimes I wonder if some of the children's shows are geared to get them interested in the army at a young age. I wonder if it is a way of engraining the fact that they need to join the army at a very young age. The children sometimes act like they are shooting each other in a war game.
It was kind of funny one day when Susan and I were walking and we saw a tree that had bark that looked like army uniform colours. It was so strange and a comment was made that even the trees were prepared for anything.
This is a picture of the tree that has bark that looks like army uniform colours.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rosalee, Did you feel uncomfortable with all the army men there? I think I would be since I am not use to the exposure of the army. When Arnie had his friend from Sweeden they had to go to the army at a young age also. Then he is now going back to university to study Science. He is going to be invalved with research. It was very interesting to hear about his culture. Have a great day. Love Mom

7:58 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger