This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Being Sick is Not Fun

There have only been a few times that I have been seriously sick while here in Korea and right now is one of those rare times. It all started on Thursday last week when I got a cold. I thought 'This will pass, it's just a cold,' but little to my knowledge it would turn into a combination of 3 sicknesses. As the weekend approached I got a sore throat and was having major headaches with body aches also. This then turned into a cough by Friday night. I took some Niquil that I had brought from Canada and it's a good thing also. From there the headaches continued but the sore throat left. The cough moved down into my chest and Sunday night I was not doing well. When I woke up this morning, Monday morning, I could hardly talk, my breathing was difficult every time I coughed, which hurt my chest and caused shooting pain into my head causing my headache to worsen.
I went to the doctors. I had already decided on doing this on Sunday when I wasn't getting better and my cough was getting worse. The doctor, who I had been to before when I had bronchitis in the spring. He checked me out, told me I had a sinus infection, bronchitis and astham related to the bronchitis. He gave me a shot (seems to be something that they give every time you are sick with something) and gave me a dose of mist stuff that I had to breath through a mask. As I left the doctors I could hardly breathe and I had raspy breathing. This was worse than when I went in, but got better within 30 minutes and helped my breathing.
I picked up my medicine at the pharmacy below the doctors, a mixture of about 6-7 pills 3 times a day and cough syrup. I called my director telling them that I could hardly speak (as she could proabably tell), was coughing like crazy everytime I tried to speak for a long time, and was having trouble breathing so I couldn't work today. She took the news pretty well and hoped I felt better.
I went home made some chicken noodle soup, took my many pills and cough syrup, curled up on my bed with a blanket and watched television all day between falling asleep. I now feel a little better, except for the cough that comes and goes and the slight headache that comes and goes also.
One of the great things is that my director's wife stopped by to check on me in the evening. She brought a humidifier, some juices, and some grapes. My other co-worker also came with her. It was nice to think that they cared enough to do that for me. They are great co-workers! I am very lucky to have them.
It can be very lonely with no one around to be with when you are sick, not that I would be able to talk much, but it would be nice to have someone around. The real problem comes when the only thing on television is Korean shows and movies and I've watched all the movies that I brought from Canada or bought while here. Maybe tomorrow I'll be better enough to go and teach at school. I'm to go to the doctors again tomorrow to get checked out. Maybe things will be better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger