This Blog is dedicated to telling people about what I am doing in South Korea with my teaching and about my experiences with being here. It is also to tell people back home in Canada what God is doing through me while I'm here.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Korean Weddings: Part 2

Okay, so I didn't think I would be able to have an opportunity to get to another Korean wedding, but lo and behold, I was invited to a Korean wedding. My co-worker just got married today and I was able to attend the wedding.
The wedding was held at a very fancy and I'm sure very expensive hotel. I think that this hotel is a popular place for weddings because my taxi driver asked if I was going to a wedding when I told him where I was going. Anyways, I arrived at the hotel and found where the wedding was being held, only to come face to face with a bunch of Koreans all staring at me. I stood off to the side until I found a group of my students who had come to see the wedding. I went over and started to talk with them. After a few minutes I saw the room where the bride, Trinity (her English name), was. I found out before the wedding there is a time for people to come and take pictures with the bride and groom. Koreans don't see it as 'bad luck' for the groom to see the bride before the wedding, I guess. So I went and had a picture taken with her.
This is the bride and groom before the wedding.
Then I went to see the students again. The students wanted to have pictures taken with me, so we took a couple of pictures together. Then I looked at the wedding pictures, that had been taken weeks before the wedding. As I mentioned in the previous post about Korean weddings, the pictures of the bride and groom were in different outfits than what they were actually wearing on the day of the wedding. They also had an ice sculpture with two wedding pictures in the center of the ice. It was very beautiful.
This is the ice sculpture.
Soon it was time for the wedding to start. The room that the wedding was held in didn't have enough chairs for all the people attending, so people stood at the back. At this wedding, and at most Korean weddings, there was a man who announced everything that was happening (the mothers entering, the groom entering, the bride entering, each part of the wedding ceremony). I didn't notice this at the other wedding that I went to. So it all began with the father of the groom sitting at the front and then the mothers came in and lite a candle and sat beside the fathers. Then the groom entered. After the bride and her father. Then the ceremony began.
This is the bride and groom during the ceremony.
There was no exchange of rings, which I thought was sort of strange. After a speech from the minister, or whoever he was, the bride and groom bowed to the bride's parents and then the mother of the bride hugged the groom. Then bride and groom bowed to the groom's parents and the mother of the groom hugged the bride. Then they kissed and the parents joined the couple in standing together and all bowed to everyone as the minister announced the couple. Then the couple walked down the asile.
The picture on the left is of the family just before bowing to everyone.
The picture on the right is of the couple walking down the asile together.
After the ceremony group pictures were taken. Family pictures of various sorts and then friends. After the friends' picture there was one more as the bride's best friend caught the boquet (a planned throw and catch). After that was the traditional tea ceremony. I didn't stay for it because it was too long to wait and the room was very small and would have been very crowded.
There was a buffet held at the hotel for the guests of the wedding. It was a nice little buffet with some good food.
All in all, this wedding wasn't too much different from the last Korean wedding that I went to.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job you´ve made in you blog. All the pictures are wonderful, congratulation.
Answering your question left in my blog... ha ha I didn´t have any camera three years ago, and nobody gave me pictures of themself. So, I couldn´t to post pictures of them. I hope you understand what I mean. I would be thankful if you or Jenn could sent to me picture of that time.

Again, I like to visite your blog.

Your friend
Tony

1:30 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • The WeatherPixie
  • Powered by TagBoard Message Board
    Name

    URL or Email

    Messages(smilies)

  • Yahoo! Avatars

    Powered by Blogger